Back To Top

Student Visa NZ

New Zealand has become an increasingly popular destination for international students to study and gain further qualifications. But to be allowed to study in New Zealand, you will need a student visa for NZ.

There are several different categories of student visas in New Zealand. These include visas for school students (aged 5 to 18), tertiary students, those studying in English language schools, and domestic students.

The team at Sharma Law has a decades worth of expertise in New Zealand immigration law. If you need assistance with your application for a New Zealand visa, book an appointment with us at +64 7 855 2663 today.

Apply for a student visa in NZ for tertiary studies

When applying to study at a tertiary institute in New Zealand, the candidate must meet a strict set of requirements to be granted a student visa for NZ. These include:

  • Having a valid offer of enrolment for full-time study for an approved programme from a licensed New Zealand education provider
  • Being exempt from or having paid international student tuition fees
  • If under the age of 18, having accommodation requirements satisfying the standards set by Immigration New Zealand

It is important to also note that the applicant must have the bona fide intention of being a genuine student and must not be applying with the intention to pursue alternative motives, like looking for full-time employment.

That does not mean, however, that your tertiary student visa for NZ will not permit you to work alongside your studies while in New Zealand, for instance, if you’d like to gain some work experience or a little pocket money. Depending on the conditions of your visa, you may be permitted to work up to 20 hours a week during the course of full-time study, and up to 40 hours a week during scheduled breaks and school holidays.

Post Study Work Visas

Once you have successfully completed your tertiary studies and gained a qualification for an approved program, you might then be eligible to apply for a Post Study Work Visa. This successor to your student visa for NZ will give you the opportunity to work for any employer in New Zealand for up to 3 years, depending on the level of the qualification you achieved.

Book Your Initial Consult Now

    School Students

    New Zealand gives foreign students the opportunity to attend school in New Zealand from primary school, through intermediate, and up to secondary or high school. There are certain requirements you must meet if you are seeking this type of visa for you or your child. An experienced immigration lawyer can provide you with more information.

    Domestic Students

    Individuals in New Zealand on temporary essential skill worker visas with dependent children aged 5 to 18 years of age can apply for a student visa for NZ for the child to attend primary, intermediate, or secondary school in New Zealand.

    To be eligible for this visa, the essential skill worker visa holder must meet the minimum specified gross annual income threshold set by Immigration New Zealand.
    Are you considering applying for a visa for your or your child’s studies? It’s important to seek advice from an experienced immigration lawyer, like the team at Sharma Law, to give your application the best chance of success. Please contact us at +64 7 855 2663 for a free initial consultation.

    Associated With

    Book Now For Your Free Initial Consult
    Your Success is our Success