Back To Top

There are many different situations that call for you to work with a lawyer, and sometimes specific conditions call for lawyers with specialised capabilities. For example, if you are someone who is trying to move to a new country to live there permanently, you may need the services of an immigration lawyer.

Generally, knowing all about specific laws and legal specifications can be difficult for an average person. Therefore, if you are dealing with something as crucial as immigrating to a new country, it would be wise to consult a lawyer who knows what they are doing.

So what do lawyers specialising in immigration do specifically, what situations should you work with them on, and how do you find an excellent lawyer to consult with? This article will help you find answers for all these points, even if you are not well-versed in immigration law.

What Is An Immigration Lawyer And What Do They Do?

As their title implies, immigration lawyers are lawyers who specialise in everything that has to do with immigration laws, policies and regulations. This includes informing you on the laws that apply to your situation, helping you understand your legal rights, assisting you with visas and more.

Trying to deal with all of the legal information that comes along with immigrating can be overwhelming, stressful and overall very challenging. So, finding yourself a great lawyer can make your life so much easier. A helpful and knowledgeable lawyer can turn an incredibly vexing situation into one that you can get by quickly.


In What Situations Would I Need An Immigration Lawyer For?

Now that you know what an immigration lawyer does and why you should work with one, what specific situations would you need a lawyer’s help with?

Here are five situations where you could greatly benefit from a lawyer’s assistance.

1. When You Are Permanently Settling In New Zealand. If you are looking to settle permanently in New Zealand, you have number of options for a resident visa.

Skilled Migrant Category (SMC).This category of Residence is point based. You must be awarded points for skilled employment in New Zealand, or have a Doctorate or Master’s degree gained in New Zealand.

If you do not hold a skilled employment in New Zealand or a New Zealand Doctorate or Master’s degree, but you otherwise meet the Skilled Migrant Category requirements, you will be able to apply for a Skilled Migrant Category Job Search visa. This visa is granted for the purpose of obtaining skilled employment in New Zealand.

Work to Residence (W2R)

Accredited Employer Talent Visa. The visa applies to you if you have specific work skills needed by a New Zealand employer.

Art, culture and Sports Talent Visa. If professionals in art, culture and sport-centered fields of work research a threshold of excellence, they can apply for a temporary work visa. You must also have a New Zealand sponsor and still be a prominent member in your field.

Long Term Skill Shortage List. If you have the correct qualifications, skills and experience to work in a job under Immigration New Zealand’s Long Term Skill Shortage List, you can apply for this visa.

Religious Visa. This applies to people or groups who want to conduct religious projects in New Zealand.

Partnership based Residence visa. This category is more suitable for the applicant’s who have a New Zealand citizen or Resident Partner. You are required to prove to Immigration New Zealand that you are in a genuine and stable relationship and are living together for past 12 months.

2. If You Are Looking To Move For Business. New Zealand holds many opportunities for those who are looking to grow and enhance their business. If you want to apply for a business visa, you should have business-related objectives that you are looking to meet. Overall, you should aim to improve New Zealand’s economy and benefit the country as a whole.

Along with aiming to improve the country’s economy, the business should also meet New Zealand’s employment and immigration law. Consulting with an immigration lawyer can help you understand New Zealand’s laws that apply to your business.

3. If You Are A Student Who Wants To Study In New Zealand. New Zealand is a popular destination for students who wish to continue their studies overseas. Student visas are available for school students aged 5 to 18, tertiary students, domestic students and pupils studying in English language schools. You may be able to support your partner a visitor visa or work visa based on your course level. You may also be able to support your dependent child for a student visa to study on domestic fees.

Like all visas, if you are applying for this kind of visa, you will need to fit specific requirements. These qualifications include having a valid offer of enrollment from a New Zealand education provider, not having pending tuition fees, and acceptable accommodation if you are a minor.

4. When You Are Experiencing Migrant Exploitation. Migrant exploitation visas were implemented in New Zealand to assist migrant workers who have an employer-assisted visa to exit their exploitative places of work. They are designed to encourage workers to report illegal and exploitative workplaces to maintain New Zealand’s Integrity.

5 Situations You Need An Immigration Lawyer For

To apply for a migrant exploitation visa, you must be in New Zealand, have an employer-assisted visa, meet specific health and character requirements, and report your exploitation to the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE). The MBIE will also need to have confirmed your report’s credibility. Your partner may be eligible for a work visa under special visa category if you obtain a Migrant Exploitation Protection Work Visa.

5. You Require General Assistance With Immigration Law And Understanding Your Situation. Along with assisting you with specific legal situations and applying for visas, you can also benefit from an immigration lawyer when you require general assistance to understand your situation.

For example, if you have specific questions that do not seem to be correctly answered through your research, you should strongly consider consulting with a professional so you have all of your details right.

If you are currently looking to confer with an experienced lawyer to understand your situation adequately, you can contact our team at Sharma Law for assistance. Even if the question seems small, it’s always a good idea to be well informed when you are dealing with legalities.

Where Can I Find A Reliable, Skilled and Experienced Immigration Lawyer?

Do any of the above situations apply to you or will apply to you in the near future? If so, you should consider engaging an immigration lawyer to assist you with your circumstances. At Sharma Law, our highly skilled team is prepared and willing to help you with all of your immigration needs.

Would you like a professional’s opinions on your specific situation? For complete information and assistance regarding your circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us at 07 855 2663.

If you are looking to reside in New Zealand for an extended time, whether you are aiming to settle permanently or invest and study here, we can help you. Immigrating can be challenging; let us assist you with the legalities so you can settle in comfortably.

Book Now For Your Free Initial Consult
Your Success is our Success